Simple syrup is a common sweetener ingredient to have in some drink recipes, especially cocktails. This tea simple syrup is probably going to be one of the easiest tea infused recipes you will find. While it only involves three ingredients and takes just a few minutes, this recipe will be one you can use in many others to come on the blog. Round up those three ingredients that you most likely already have at your house and let’s get started.
In case you’re not already familiar with simple syrup it is essentially liquid sugar. It may sound odd but it is not something that you would have on its own and a little goes a long way. Simple syrup consists of equal parts water and sugar and that’s it! However, in this particular recipe, we are adding a third ingredient to give it a flavour that we can later use in other recipes. Of course, that additional ingredient is tea.
What is great about this recipe (besides the fact that it is super easy) is that there is no specific tea needed to make it. I have made this recipe several times using earl grey, masala chai, lapsang souchong and even matcha. If this will be your first time making your own simple syrup and you’re not quite sure what tea to use, I suggest going with one of your favourites first.
Even though simple syrup is common to find in drink recipes of all types, you can use this tea simple syrup for so much more. You don’t have to limit it to just beverages. You will soon find more recipes on the blog that will feature a tea simple syrup and can refer to this how-to when needed but until then I have shared a mini list below to give you ideas.
How to Use Tea Simple Syrup
After making the tea simple syrup it will slightly thicken as it cools and you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teabags or 4 tablespoons loose leaf tea
- Heat water in a saucepan on the stove. The temperature the water should reach will be determined by what type of tea you use here.
- Remove from heat and add in your tea bags or loose leaf to infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Once the tea has fully steeped, remove the tea bags or strain the loose leaves and return saucepan to stove to bring to a slow boil.
- Stir the sugar into the tea until is has completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour, before refrigerating.
Like it? Pin it: bit.ly/1MOdvi5
What tea will you make into a simple syrup and what will you use your tea simple syrup for? Let me know in the comments.