‘Tis the season for pumpkin everything! While I do love pumpkin flavoured tea most of the time, it’s just that – an artificial or natural pumpkin flavour. Nothing can compare to the real deal, in my opinion. As someone who also isn’t a huge fan of the famous Pumpkin Spice Latte, it was important that I recreate a drink that I could still love to treat myself to this season and, of course, incorporate tea instead of the usual, coffee. This is the perfect drink to curl up with a cozy blanket and a good book on a typical Autumn day.
Infusing a loose leaf black tea into some milk is just one of the simple steps to complete this delicious recipe. I used an organic black tea from Teatulia, but if you don’t have loose leaf on hand feel free to use two black tea bags instead. To accompany the star of the drink, real pumpkin puree, I made sure to add all those spices you would normally find in a pumpkin spice mix: cinnamon, ginger and cloves. If you’re a huge pumpkin lover play around with the recipe below by adding more pumpkin for a thicker, and definitely creamier pumpkin taste. If you ever need to thin it out, simply add more tea infused milk.
*A treat within a treat: I’ve included a how-to recipe video from my YouTube channel towards the end so you can get a better look at how this drink was made.
- 1 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons black tea
- 1 tablespoon real pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- whipped cream (optional)
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Heat the milk of your choice in a pot over medium heat. Once it is about to boil, remove from heat and add the black tea to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea leaves and and bring the now tea infused milk back on medium heat.
- Mix in the real pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves one by one making sure all ingredients are blended well together.
- Pour the pumpkin tea latte into a mug and serve with toppings of your choice. I recommend whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Sip, savour & enjoy!