matcha green tea brands

5 of the Best Matcha Green Tea Brands Out There

October 14, 2015 in Learn / Tea Thoughts

Some of the most common questions I have received this year have been “Where do you get your matcha?” or “Matcha is more expensive than I thought. What matcha green tea brands are worth the money?” With all the various options out there, online and in cafes, it can be hard to tell what matcha is “real” or not sometimes. I figured a blog post with some of my recommendations may be an easy way to get this answered. After my post about how to tell what quality of matcha you are purchasing, it only makes sense that I would follow it up with a mini list of brands I have tried and love.

While I wouldn’t call myself a matcha green tea expert I have been fortunate to try many different brands over the last couple of years. Having that experience, I’ve learned from my past mistakes and have definitely become more aware of what I am purchasing and brands I am supporting. The list I have included below all reflect my own personal preferences on ceremonial matcha that I have tried myself, love and believe is worth the recommendation. This is the matcha quality you would be looking for if you wanted to invest in a matcha you could drink on it’s own, traditionally. The other important aspect of this is that none of the brands have outrageously overpriced their matcha. All are pretty much around the same price range, and are a great deal for the quality you are receiving.

Of course, I still encourage you to do some more research as there are a plethora of brands out there and as it goes for my tea reviews, everyone has a different palate. What I may like you may not and vice versa. This list is in no particular order. If you do end up giving one of these matcha green tea brands I suggest a try, please let me know! (*This post was last updated August 23, 2016.)

Top 5 Matcha Green Tea Brands I Recommend

1. Encha Matcha Organic Matcha from Farm to Cup
Let me start by saying, Li’s, Encha Founder, passion is so incredibly valuable and inspiring. I first became in touch with Li before Encha even started. I remember he messaged me about a Japan trip he was planning and asked me if there was anything I wanted to know about Japanese matcha and organic farming so he could search for the answers for me. Not long after his trip, Encha was born and it is one of my favourite matcha brands to support and indulge in. While Encha is superior quality matcha, I know that my matcha knowledge has expanded thanks to Li. Thanks to him, I realized earlier years I was being overcharged for what I thought was high quality matcha. All Encha’s organic matcha has no pesticide, no synthetic fertilizer, no preservatives and is non-GMO. I recently tried Encha’s Latte Grade organic matcha and was impressed with how smooth it was, with little to no astringency when prepared with just hot water. It is, however, not as delicate as their ceremonial grade. If you’re new to matcha, I would say you could even purchase the latte grade, over the ceremonial grade first to give it a try and save some money.

Price: Ceremonial Grade Pure Organic Matcha 30 grams for $24.95 or Latte Grade Pure Organic Matcha 60 grams for $30.95
Package: Resealable pouch
Ships: U.S. Only (for the time being)

matcha green tea brands

2. Grace Matcha Buy Authentic Japanese Matcha Green Tea
This matcha company is one of the newer ones I have tried and it easily became a favourite. They want their customers to be able to easily buy excellent quality matcha straight from Japan and doing so, they have hand picked a select range of matcha teas to suit a wide variety of tastes and purposes. Having the opportunity to try a vast selection of their matcha products, I am always amazed at the quality. Their ceremonial matcha is perfection – no bitterness, and so rich and creamy. I also love that the founder, Ritsuo, is very open about where his matcha comes from, how it is processed, etc. He is always bringing new, exciting products to Grace Matcha! (Ex: I have never tried roasted matcha until he introduced me to it.) Due to the wide range of matcha products available at Grace Matcha, he is extremely helpful if you wanted to connect with him to get a recommendation on what matcha may be right for you.

Price: Ceremonial Matcha 20 grams for $24.90 or Luxury Matcha 20 grams for $14.50
Package: Airtight tin
Ships: Internationally

3. Midori MatchaCharging Lives
I couldn’t not include Midori Matcha on this list because it was one of the first brands I invested in after sampling and researching further. It was the brand that steered me away from Teavana’s matcha that was my once go-to. The nice spring green colour tea is quite delicious. It is mild with slight sweetness, no astringency. While I can only vouch for Midori’s Premium Matcha Powder, they also have bottles of cold brew matcha (sweetened and unsweetened) available. If ready to-go matcha is of interest to you, I would look into that option more!

Price: Premium Matcha Powder 30 grams for $29
Package: Airtight tin
Ships: *Please note that this matcha is no longer sold online. Check out their store locator to find it sold somewhere near you.

4. Pure Matcha Quality Not Quantity
With a super vibrant green colour and fresh aroma, it’s hard not to love this company’s matcha. Pure Matcha’s Premium Ceremonial Grade is buttery and smooth. They also have an Organic Ceremonial Matcha that is available but I have not tasted that one, yet. One thing that really got me excited to try their matcha was a line they had in their “About Us” section of their website. “Most Matcha companies out there try to sell lower grade matcha and pass it along as Ceremonial grade.” This is exactly what I always try to remind friends, family, readers, etc. when they are wanting to invest in matcha. If there is one point I want the get across, to get into everyone’s head forever, it’s just that. I love that Pure Matcha is so open about that and it definitely shows from their matcha that they know what they are talking about. Pure Matcha also offers 100% Rooibos and Black Tea powder.

Price: Premium Ceremonial Grade 30 grams for $25.99 (You can also purchase this matcha on Amazon here).
Package: Airtight tin
Ships: Internationally

5. Mizuba Tea Purveyors of Pure Japanese Green Tea
Mizuba Tea’s matcha is a single-region, single-ingredient tea from a small farm in Uji, just outside of Kyoto, Japan. After her trip to Japan, Lauren, CEO of Mizuba Tea, has been sharing the deliciousness of matcha with everyone she can since. Offering a variety of matcha online, their Ceremonial Organic Matcha is one I have experience with and fell in love with at first sip. The captivating green tea has a robust flavour packed with tons of natural sweetness and nutty notes. While I have only purchased this matcha once before, it is on my list next when my matcha stash runs low. I especially like that Mizuba Tea also offers a “Daily Matcha” option that is quite affordable ($20 for 40g) and seems like a great option for those just getting into this green tea powder and want superb quality without a super big price tag.

Price: Hibiki Ceremonial Organic Matcha 40 grams for $35
Package: Airtight tin
Ships: Internationally

Learn More About Matcha Green Tea:

Like it? Pin it:

matcha green tea brands

With so many various matcha green tea brands out there, what are some of your favourites to invest in? Leave a comment down below!

You Might Also Like

• Reply Sally October 14, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I loooove Mizuba Tea! :) Their Daily Matcha is delicious & I've found that their Culinary Matcha makes an amazing present for anybody who loves to bake!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio November 16, 2015 at 11:16 am

Yay! So great to hear you also enjoy their matcha. Culinary matcha as a gift for bakers is a wonderful idea!

• Reply Claire C October 16, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I've not tried this brand but I love your review and I'm going to check it out

• Reply Rica Lewis October 16, 2015 at 9:01 pm

A close friend gave me some amazing tea, and I agree that it does make a great gift. I think of her every time I savor the hot brew in my favorite mug! I'll have to give some of these a shot. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio November 16, 2015 at 11:18 am

I love how tea can bring two people closer together. Enjoy :)

• Reply Jessie Petrova October 16, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I love this list, it's awesome! Xo

• Reply The Vera Story October 17, 2015 at 2:49 am

I love Green Tea! Can't wait to try these!

Vera | The Vera Story

• Reply Ira Kharchenko October 17, 2015 at 8:42 am

I love your blog! have a nice weekend:)

• Reply Karen Grosz October 18, 2015 at 11:02 pm

I have been looking to upgrade my matcha tea brand. Thanks. I do a tsp a day in 30 ounces of water.

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio November 16, 2015 at 11:19 am

Nice! I hope you’re able to find some more delicious matcha from this list.

• Reply Katrina Sumilang October 19, 2015 at 12:24 am

I love matcha! Gonna have to try some of these. Specially the ones for baking. :)

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio November 16, 2015 at 11:19 am

Definitely! I love baking with matcha myself. Do you have any favourite recipes?

• Reply Lori Schumaker October 20, 2015 at 3:42 am

I love matcha! Thanks for the great info! I'm glad I found you on #Bloggingboost!

• Reply Lillith Black November 29, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for the recommendations! I love tea and drink several cups a day. I tried matcha in foods but never by itself. This gives me a good start list. I’m so glad I found your blog!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio November 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for visiting, Lillith. Yes, I think the first time I would have tried matcha would have been in foods too (without even knowing it). I hope you’ll find one you’ll enjoy as a beverage :)

• Reply Handy December 8, 2015 at 8:28 am

Hello,, thanks for recommendation about best Matcha,,
    I also sent the message for your,, please check it

• Reply Jason Ng December 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the list as a good guidance for a beginner like me!

I was a coffees latte lover, but lately I start finding myself fell in love with the unique taste of matcha.. especially like the matcha ice cream and matcha milk tea!

I am going to try one of the brand you listed to make a matcha soya milk, a combination of my 2 favorite drinks! :)

• Reply Bill Jones December 30, 2015 at 3:32 am

Drinking green tea is part of my stress management after loads of work at office. Reading this post gives me and idea of switch different teas a day.:D

• Reply candace January 4, 2016 at 1:06 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Green Tea! I have a cup every morning while checking email. I don’t think I could live without tea. I hate coffee, but tea is a lifesaver whenever I need some rest or cheering up. :) Great blog!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio January 4, 2016 at 1:39 pm

That is wonderful to hear! I agree – tea is wonderful for resting or a boost of happiness.

• Reply Candace Marie February 4, 2016 at 2:46 am

I LOVE the Pure Matcha green tea! Best matcha brand I’ve tried so far! I want to try the daily matcha from Mizuba next. I am addicted to matcha now! I want to start my own matcha line :)

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio February 4, 2016 at 1:17 pm

So happy to hear about your matcha love, Candace! The Daily Matcha from Mizuba will not disappoint.

• Reply Kali February 5, 2016 at 10:35 pm

I’ve considered Teavana’s Matcha. Why is it not in your top 5? How was your experience with it?

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio February 5, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Hi Kali, I used to drink Teavana’s matcha when I first started actually. It’s not on this list simply because it wasn’t the highest of quality I’ve had. It was definitely decent to start with but once you try different matcha brands, comparing them is quite simple and I felt these listed are better due to their taste, quality and value. I hope that helps! :)

• Reply Tracee Read February 15, 2016 at 2:53 am

Steeped Tea, a Canadian company, I think is worthy of mention… delicious premium & ceremonial grade matcha in several amazing flavours for the beginner to experienced matcha lover, only $35 for 100g or $60 for 200g :)

• Reply Laura February 17, 2016 at 5:37 am

Adagio Teas Uji matcha! Bright green, smooth, and frothy. Delicious!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio February 17, 2016 at 10:23 am

I’ve never tried Adagio’s matcha before. I’ll have to look into it, thanks!

• Reply Katie February 28, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Ryuouen, Ippodo, Horaido, Marukyu, Maiko, and especially Uji Matcha Manten are amongst some of the matcha that I enjoy. The price for Manten is pretty steep, but well justified considering the reputation of Tsuen and quality of the koicha produced.

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio March 10, 2016 at 10:46 am

Nice! Thanks for sharing, Katie. I will have to look up some of those matcha brands and try a few for myself.

• Reply Robert C. February 29, 2016 at 2:53 am

Awesome article, I hope you would do one that only focus on new upcoming brands on amazon 😉

• Reply Ian Chun March 28, 2016 at 10:15 pm

So many matcha brands and so few actual matcha producers from Japan! We’re solving this gap in the market by offering dozens of matcha products sold in Japan online at (filter by grade, season, etc.).

If you’d like to sample any of these for review, please let us know!

• Reply Ed C. April 18, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Lu Ann, thanks for all the great info…someone above had already mentioned it, but a Canadian Company called SteepedTea offers Ceremonial Matcha..have you done any research into them to be able to give us your thoughts on their quality? I’m a newbie to Matcha, and am thankful for any info you can provide!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio April 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi Ed,
      Welcome to the world of matcha! :) I can’t really give a fair comment on Steeped Tea’s Ceremonial Matcha as I haven’t tried it myself. It must be fairly new as before I only knew about their culinary and flavoured matcha lines. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find much information about it online (ie. where it is sourced). I do see photos of their matcha, which isn’t too vibrant, but again, it doesn’t really specify what grade. Do you happen to know the price point or any other info on it?

• Reply Tracee Read April 20, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Hello Lu Ann and Ed!
    How lovely to see you’re chatting about Steeped Tea’s new Ceremonial Matcha :) I am a Sr. Team Director with Steeped Tea and would be happy to help with information about our matcha quality.

Our Matcha is only grown in Nishio, Japan under excellent conditions. Steeped Tea only uses suppliers that challenge the status quo in high standards of quality, food safety, and the disuse of pesticides, heavy metals and microbiology. In Nishio the climate is mild, its soils are fertile, it is elevated (roughly 600 meters) above sea level and its tea fields are in remote locations far from urban
    development. All these features contribute to the growth of the
    healthiest matcha you can enjoy every day.

Ceremonial Matcha has gone mainstream and our price reflects a product that you could swear by and not break the bank. Try it, and you will find the subtle differences between Premium and Ceremonial.

Our Premium and Ceremonial matchas have the same nutritional value so you could drink either every day. The difference lies in subtle shades of green and subtle smoothness in taste for that special occasion or ceremony.

In respect of pricing, our Premium matcha is $35 for 100g or $60 for 200g, and comes in several flavours: Peppermint, Pineapple Punch, Lemon, Vanilla (most popular), Sweet Strawberry and Melon Ball. Our Ceremonial Grade is $45 for 100g and $75 for 200g. They come in foil bag, inside a lovely Earl Grey – Lime tin to make storage and daily use of our matcha nicely convenient.

If you’d like to chat more about Steeped Tea matcha, or any of our amazing all-natural teas, please feel most welcome to contact me :) I am in Calgary but can help anyone across Canada. We also have an awesome tea Fundraiser Plan that people and organizations are really having great success with.

Thanks and happy sipping!

• Reply Libby Smith May 18, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much for this list! I bought matcha from (Grace & Green), based on your recommendation. The quality of the tea and the personal service is amazing!!! Makes me want to visit Japan again!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio May 19, 2016 at 9:10 am

Hi Libby,

Thanks for letting me know about your purchase and experience with Grace & Green! So happy to hear it. Happy whisking :)

• Reply rachel cousins May 19, 2016 at 10:02 pm

hi thanks for the list!
    I am new to matcha never really experimented with it on my own and have only had it at coffee shops. I want to invest in it and really have fun with this new tea.
    I also live in canada and I was wondering where you get encha becuase they only ship to the US on their site. I really want to try that brand as i always hear how amazing it is!

thanks in advance

• Reply Laura May 25, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Hi Lu Ann this will be my first time trying matcha tea. I’m excited! Went on Encha to order do you have a coupon code cause it’s a little pricy 😬. Thanks so much. Ps I live in the States.

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio May 26, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Hi Laura! Unfortunately, Encha does not have any coupons or specials at the moment, but I would recommend just purchasing the mini Encha starter that is only $5 plus shipping. Especially since you are new to matcha, these little packs should be perfect for trying it out. Let me know if you need anything else :)

• Reply Debbie Marshall June 18, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Is “nature’s truth” matcha green tea a premium grade?

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio June 18, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Hi Debbie, I haven’t tasted that brand but I just looked it up and can confidently say it is not a premium grade. High quality matcha should be vibrant green, Nature’s Truth seems very brown in colour which is the first sign of low quality. I hope that helps!

• Reply Debbie Marshall June 18, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Yes, thank you.

• Reply Kelly V @cookinasnap July 2, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Hi Lu Ann, I’m new to matcha and through googling found your blog on the top 5 to try. I’ve just ordered from Grace&Green some Luxury Matcha! I’ll come back and let you know how it went. The prep seems to be such an important spiritual part of the whole matcha experience. I am wary of the green taste, but I read that it helps you think about what you’re drinking, for health. Oh boy, here I jump!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio July 4, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Hi Kelly! I’m so happy to hear you have found and ordered an excellent matcha. I can’t wait to hear what you think of it. Matcha preparation is my favourite – I am probably a bit addicted and like to prepare more than what I can drink in one day LOL. Please let me know if you need any more help with matcha or tea in general :)

• Reply LEE August 13, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Hi! I’m new to matcha tea, but wanting to try the best quality. What’s the hype with people wanting matcha from China instead of Japan (because of radiation)? Any truth to that?

• Reply Ritsuo August 16, 2016 at 11:52 am

Hi Lee, I live in Japan. Powdered green tea was introduced into Japan from China but Matcha was invented in Japan. Now good quality matcha is made only from special green tea cultivars which were developed in Japan (ex, Asahi, samidori, gokou…). In Japan we can not find Matcha that is produced in China. Matcha from China is sold only outside Japan, for people who don’t know about matcha well.
      As for radiation, many radiation tests have been done. Yes it is very important to think about food safty! I think you should care about Lead in tea also. Unfotunatly, it is very difficult to find good quality matcha (there are so many low grade matcha outside Japan…) but I hope you can find your favorite matcha :)

• Reply Darryl Baker August 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Love your blog, Please can I send you a sample of my Matcha, We are a small company.Magic Matcha from Canada. 100 percent organic ceremonial grade matcha green tea.

• Reply Nancy Larke August 23, 2016 at 1:00 am

This indeed is a good read and quite informative. There’s nothing best than to start your day with a cup of healthy green tea. I as a green tea lover always love to try out different types of green tea which acts as a great anti-oxidant. Currently I purchased this COZY LEAF PRAIRIE SUNRISE LOOSE GREEN TEA which I found on and I must say it is a nutty full-flavored blend of decadent green teas that brews up a beautiful golden cup.

• Reply Dion September 11, 2016 at 12:27 am

Hello! Great site!
    I was out in rural NE Thailand recently and tried, for the first time and at a grocery store , an icey Matcha drink with honey and lemon (or lime). It was so delicious want to try to replicate it. It seems matcha buying is a little more complicated than I expected. I think I’m going to try, from reading your review, the Mizuba. Can you suggest what to go for? THANKS!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio September 11, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Hi Dion! If you’re going to be using the matcha for a drink like the one you experienced I would recommend checking out Mizuba’s Daily Matcha ☺ Can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

• Reply Deborah J September 13, 2016 at 1:40 am

I have been drinking matcha tea for years and would like to think I can call myself a matcha connoisseur.

I just finished my own taste test of 5 brands of ceremonial grade Japanese organic matcha. I want to share the results of my taste test with everybody.

I prepared matcha tea in the traditional way using one gram of matcha and the same amount of hot (not boiling) water.

Here are the results:

1st = Doctor King – finest ceremonial grade
    2nd = Midori Spring – ceremonial grade
    3rd = Kiss Me Organics – ceremonial grade
    4th = Kenko – ceremonial grade
    5th = Aiya – ceremonial grade

The color of Doctor King was clearly the best (10/10). Kenko and Aiya were the worst.
    The taste of Doctor king was the best – no bitterness at all!

I want to post some pics. How do I do that?

• Reply Rachelle Mesheau September 16, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I just purchased a few matchas from Mizuba. Looking forward to trying them.

• Reply Vihreä Tee October 12, 2016 at 6:55 am

Thank you for the great post! Will definitely order one of these :)

– Tiina

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio October 12, 2016 at 9:22 am

Thanks Tiina! I hope you enjoy whichever matcha you order.

• Reply David Davenport October 14, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Love the community on this website! Was wondering your thoughts on “The Republic of Tea’s Matcha”? My sister purchased a tin for me as a surprise gift and I was not so thrilled about the taste. I normally drink the Mizuba which for me tastes great. Thoughts on Republic of Tea’s Matcha?

Thank you and many blessings!

• Reply Lu Ann Pannunzio October 15, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Thanks David! Me too :) I haven’t tried The Republic of Tea’s matcha. I see their website lists it’s from Japan but doesn’t say where exactly. It also doesn’t look too vibrant green in the photos, so by first glance I’m not too impress with it. Have you done a side by side comparison of it and the Mizuba matcha you have?

• Reply Jack Fallon October 18, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for the great post. How would a brand go about competing to be on this list? We currently produce 100% Pure Premium Grade Matcha that we developed because we wanted to be the best matcha on the market! We would love for you to try it so we can be sure we are doing a great job!

• Reply Kevin Leary October 21, 2016 at 10:10 pm

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced Japanese ceremonial matcha Coastal Tea Company is pretty good.